Thursday, September 25, 2008

I hear You, God

I am so blessed by the presence of the Lord tonight. It is rainy, cold, and I am home alone for the moment. I started reading Max Lucado's Experiencing the Heart of Jesus and heard again even louder the message that the Lord has been sending me all day. My happiness is centered in my faith.
I am remembering another September 25th exactly 30 years ago. I was living in San Diego, CA, and in the uncomfortable ending of my pregnancy. It was very hot and smoggy. I had the constant threat of toxemia, having high blood pressure with my pregnancy. We slept on the fold-out-couch because the air conditioner was in the window in the dining room - living room. The bedroom was just too hot.
There was a plane crash slightly north of us that day, and my Uncle Howard died in Toronto, OH.
A year later I was still living on Triana Street with my family, which now included a second wonderful son.
I had forgotten the actual date of Uncle Howard's death, but God remembered and knew that Aunt Laura needed a special message of love.
Early in the day God told me to call her. I told Him I was busy with my children and that I would call her tomorrow. He kept asking me in a gentle way over and over again to call her. You have to realize that this meant research. There was no internet and I had only written a letter along time ago. I didn't have the address, but thought they had been in Toranto, OH.
After a while, it became an obsession to call Aunt Laura. I had to find the area code in the telephone book in order to call directory assistance. Sometime while the sun was still burning brightly, I talked to Aunt Laura. I told her that I knew it was around this time of year that Uncle Howard had passed and that I wanted her to know I was thinking of her.
She very quietly said that it was a year ago today. I'm sure my call meant something to her, but God's prodding meant more to me. Aunt Laura passed away many years ago too, but I still remember the joy of that day when God made me uncomfortable so I could send a little love and kindness.

8 comments:

Power Up Love said...

I invite you to visit www.PowerUpLove.com real people sharing real stories about how love has really impacted and changed their lives. Blessings...

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Hi Vicki,

One of the good things about the Christian life is that we can in a sense represent Christ to others, and also receive blessings from fellow believers.

Russ;)

Vicki said...

Russ,
It is good to see your friendly hand. Blessings to you, Brother.

Gigi said...

Amazing the blessings that pour out when we listen and obey that small, still voice...What a lovely memory Vicki!

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Thanks Vicki.

I replied.

Gigi said...

Vicki ~ thanks for visiting tonight and asking about my Sweet Hubby! Right now we are unable to travel and stick pretty close to home except for dr. appts. Today was the first time we got out "just for fun" and it was very taxing for Steve, even being in the wheelchair. It's after 1 a.m. and he is still unable to get comfortable enough to sleep - and that's after his medication. We would love to meet you...and I'm sure we will one day!

Vicki said...

Blessings to you, My Friends. I would ask that you keep me in your prayers. I have some unresolved hurts. I need wisdom and God's guidance.

Gigi, I wish I could meet you. I am so sorry for Steve's sickness. Blessings to you each and both.

Lola said...

Vicki you have a very sweet and beautiful site! Thank you for inviting me.

You and I share similar experiences in preganacy. Only you were smart and started earlier in life. I was in my thirties and was diagnosed with Pregnancy Induced Hypertension, but it is pretty apparant that with my surviving children I had HELLP, and Pre-eclampsia. And how I blew up! Water mostly. I was dependant on God to keep me and my children safe.

What you described about the gental prodding you had to contact your Aunt Laura is beautiful. And, that reminds me of a few relatives that need a little note.

God Bless you and I will pray for you too during my quiet time!

Great Grandfather Humes

Great Grandfather Humes
Great Grandfather, Charles Humes, started the family interest in trucks. He is in the center of the picture and Great Grandmother, Eva Humes, is to the left of him.